Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Welcome Back, Kotter (or anyone reading)

So, it's definitely been a few weeks since posting.  I hadn't planned to let it go this long, but things have been kinda crazy for me lately.  

Well, I'll set your fears to rest right away.  Just because I haven't posted recently doesn't mean I haven't been working out.  I've actually kept up with the routine very well.  Sometimes I go to the gym, but I mostly enjoy the good weather we've been having here in the Philly area.

I've been running/walking all over this county and there are some really nice trails here.  I think my favorite is Valley Green in and around the chestnut hill area.  There are a ton of trails as well as a main trail marked with mile markers.  Having mile markers makes things really easy, because I can't find a good iphone app that allows me to track my mileage as I walk/run.  FYI what we've always known as Valley Green is technically now called the Wissahickon Valley.  If you'd like to check it here's the website: http://www.fow.org/map.php.  You can rent bikes there, run, walk trails, and if you own a horse, you can walk it on the trail.  I definitely recommend it.  I've also been to the famous Horsham Powerline Trail.  Now this trail is really "electrifying".  It's actually a pretty nice trail.  The road is paved and there are definitely mile markings, 1/4 mile markings to be exact.  My biggest complaint about the Powerline Trail (spoiler alert) is the fact that a power line runs through the entire trail.  You can hear the buzzing from the power lines as you walk.  However, to be fair it's really well maintained and there are some really nice parks along the way.

I've definitely developed a really good support group during this whole thing.  I don't walk alone very often and I've had people push me to walk when I haven't been very into walking that day.  Yes, I've had days where it's been difficult to walk/run.  They are a little more occurrent than when I first started, but I still enjoy this very much.

On to the actual running/walking.  I'm definitely comfortable walking 5 miles.  Of the five miles I can run about 3/4's of a mile at the moment which is not that great, but from what I understand it's not too bad either.  The longer I do this, the better I feel, obviously.  When I do walk though, I walk at a pretty good pace, I'm not just walking lethargically down the path.  

I've also discovered other forms of exercise that have helped raise my endurance.  I've been playing a little bit of tennis which is a ton of fun.  I forgot how much fun tennis is.  I started off a little rocky (that's boxing, I know) but it's come back to me pretty quickly.  I think I even served the ball like 80 mph for three or four serves in a row, acing my opponent all three/four times.  However, I then lost it again.  If anyone's interested in playing, let me know!!

In regards to my last post, I have not bought a pair of shoes yet, but I think I found a pair I like.  It's by Adidas, it's called the Ozweego.  If you've heard of it, let me know what you think, but I've read some reviews and they were mainly positive.  Here is a link if you're interested in taking a look:  http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10954267&page=2&v2=y&cp=3748174.3748186.3748266.3778628.2012801&cid=G22829&shopGroup=R.

Well thanks again for joining me on this crazy trip.  It definitely won't be as long for my next update.  As usual any and all suggestions are much appreciated.  

Next topic of discussion, run mix (what songs do you listen to while running), so think about it.

Until next time, 
Big D

3 comments:

  1. sweet kicks drew. and if you need some tunes for running, i got some. what kind of stuff do you usually listen to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lied. You said it definitely wouldn't be as long before your next post. It's been 2 1/2 months. :(

    ReplyDelete